Monday, July 20, 2015

DIY Dorm Decor

Decorating a college dorm can be a lot of fun. You get to style it the way you want and put your individuality into it. While it is an exciting task, it can also be a very expensive one. Especially when you're still in the planning stages and are overwhelmed with themes, designs and what you think will look good. Being the girly-girl that I am, I've been on the hunt for the perfect designs since day 1. Different artwork and pictures can be sort of pricey, especially if you're paying for things yourself. An alternative to this is a D-I-Y project. This is a lot cheaper, and it's more personal. Once you spend your own time making something you're going to decorate and look at everyday, you're bound to appreciate it more and do a much better job on it. This project took me about and hour and a half to make. I got the idea from Pinterest. I looked up pretty dorm decor for girls. I was able to find an idea I absolutely LOVED. My roommate and I both really enjoy the color pink. I also wanted to make a project that would make our dorm our own. Thus, I went to Michael's and our monogram canvas was born.
I started out with 4 blank canvases, 2 letters (our initials), rhinestones and paint. I began by painting all 4 of the canvases. Two with designs and two that were plain with color. I decided to make one of ours the chevron design as it is one we both enjoyed. I designed our letters with paint and added a little sparkle to make it our own. The four canvases can be separated so that there is mine and hers, or we can leave it together as a wall design.

This project is going to be hanging in our dorm and is a great project because it is personal to us and it really ties the room together being what we enjoy. It expresses who we are and helps to decorate the room as it is a direct attention grabber for anyone who decides to stop by.

xo, Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment